Does anyone else have a huge stack of BJJ T-Shirts that tend to sit and take up space? They may be too big, too small, just not your favorite one, super old, but you’re just not willing to toss them out. Instead of sending them to the thrift store, or throwing them away why not turn them into grocery bags? As more and more countries and states in the USA have started to ban plastic bags, reusable bags are becoming more popular. Turning t-shirts into grocery bags, not only reduces waste, but its cost effective, you already have the shirts, no sewing machine is needed, only a pair of scissors. They are washable, so the bags can be multi- use, and they show off your BJJ obsession in a cute and unique way!Follow the instructions and photos below to make your own bags.
- Grab your tshirts, and scissors, cut off the sleeves, collar, and the bottom hem of the shirt. Save the bottom hem, we will need this later for the bottom of the bag.
2. Flip your now cut t-shirt inside out. On the bottom of the t-shirt, make vertical strips about an inch and a half long, and have each one be about an inch wide. Do this across the bottom of the entire shirt.
3. Now take the front an back strips and tie them in a double knot together, repeat across the entire bottom of the shirt.
4. If you look closely, you will see there are holes in between each of the knots across the bottom of the shirt. If you are worried about things falling through grab the extra hem piece you cut earlier and weave it through each hole (over under) tie at each end of the bag. This will be extra reinforcement for the bag, and prevent anything from falling out.
5. Now turn your bag right side out, and you have a great new BJJ Grocery bag/ tote! They hold more than the normal grocery bags, so less are needed, and you can make them out of a variety of shirts/ styles.
PS: And if you are curious about Kaitlin, we got to interview her some months ago. Check her interview: https://www.bjjmums.com/bjj-mums-on-interview-kaitlin-wonder/